Sunday, June 15, 2014

Received Wednesday, March 26. 2014

do you want to live with Brad Sears?
That would be awesome, that would be my ideal set up. I don't know much about the different housing places or anything, but I am happy to trust. It was with Brad that I (unsuccessfully) bet 50 push ups I'd beat him in our Physical Science class. He also is a great 3 point shooter in basketball even though he has a fully 2-handed shot.

have you heard a CD of Vocal point on your mission or before?
I heard a bit from them before and during. I'm not crazy about them like other people, but they're fine.

have you heard talks from John Bytheway before?
yes, I think they're good. I heard him talk about the Lamanites who gathered on the top of a hill to stay away from Amalickiah who wanted to become their king and convince them to war the Nephites. Amalickiah eventually convinced them to come only a little down the mountain, which was all he needed to eventually take over (he used killed their leader using "poison by degrees")

did you get transferred? If yes, please tell all
did not! but my companion, Elder Jones is! it was somewhat predictable. It was fun to serve with him. I'll probably serve with my new companion (Elder Bushnel) here for my last two transfers. He is already a zone leader, not sure where he's from. I've only talked to him a couple times.

Snow lately?
no, but It's supposed to snow a bit tonight. Only a few inches. Hopefully the real, last time. 30 degrees is cold here.

For Quinn's mission, it is common that people wear shoes that are easy to take off because that is the custom, to take off your shoes at the front door! Have you ever done that? Been instructed to do so by the homeowner? I don't mind the custom, just that I would think those missionaries would wear nice, hefty, warm, tied up shoes. Not easy on and off.
What percentage of the time, during winter, have you worn your big, warm Mr. Mac boots? Have you had to take them off at the door? Explain your answer as fully as possible.
I have done that a lot, enough that I think it's a little weird that you think it is weird. I feel like I did that in homes in CA and a lot out here. Shoes that are easier to slip on do make that easier. Sometimes I'll just slip in and out of my shoes (that have laces) but sometimes I'll untie/retie. Elder Jones always wears slip on shoes. usually when we go into a house we ask "should we take our shoes off?" and sometimes they say whatever you want (and I usually keep mine on) but sometimes they say "yes, that would be good" or something. During the winter we especially will take our shoes off because they are likely to be wet and snowy and dirty. During the winter I would wear my boots about 50% of the time, I liked them, they were very sturdy and really kept my feet warm. It was not a big deal to need to untie them to take them off. Was that a full report?
How did you hear this was especially a custom amongst the Canucks?

Best thing that you ate this week?
hmmm tough to say. One night we were getting back and I wasn't feeling 100% great, but I wanted a chocolate milk shake and got one at the gas station while we were filling up and it really hit the spot.

What activity will you do today?
Transfers have usually been thursday, but they were not moved to wednesday night. This is so President can have more time for the departing missionaries last interview with him. Because of that we have to leave a bit early to drive and get there on time. We are going to the stake center here where a lot of people in the zone will be. There may be a bit of sports (no one wants to get sweaty before transfers) but maybe just talking and journal signing.

How often do you go out on splits? Do you think you make your "split companion" a little nervous?
we have a member with us for something almost every day, but actually "splits" where we go different directions, not very often. I think most people are not nervous. You can tell some people are a little, especially if they haven't done it before (like recent converts especially). Would you be nervous to go with the missionaries to help teach someone? You don't really have to do that much "teaching" often just friendshipping the person and bearing testimony is the best.

Someone just came and gave us homemade egg sandwiches (on homemade bread). They're really good. He gives them to us every week. He's a really nice guy, does a ton of service. He's actually an excommunicated member, but comes to church every week, kind of interesting.

we're going to leave soon to go because we have to pick up another missionary early today to make everything work out with taking him to transfer meeting.

This was a good week. President Haight (counselor to President Packard) came to our ward last sunday. It was great. Like always he had a great sharing the gospel experience to share that had just happened the day before. Him and his wife spoke at sacrament meeting, taught the youth 2nd hour, and taught combined priesthood/RS 3rd hour.

Sorry for being so short, I'll be emailing again monday! good job sharing the gospel and sharing about the goodness of sharing the gospel!

I love you

No comments: