Sunday, June 15, 2014

Received Monday, May 19, 2014

What are your plans today?
We took some of our things over to do dry-cleaning (wanted to do it before our Elder Holland mission conference, even though it was disobeying your orders. sorry.) and we are going to Revere to play basketball, and an inactive member, (Nigel Slack) is coming too. I hope we have enough people to make it a good game

what’s the weather like?
nice. sunny. about 65 I think

have you chosen appropriate long sleeves or short sleeves?
yes. short sleeves. The person at Market Basket was very happy

Quinn has asked for thermal garments. Did you ever have any companions that had thermal garments?
I have. That has not had much of an impact on me or my opinion though Steven advised me not to, and I agree for the reason he said: you don't want to re-wear garments, but if you have regular, on top of your garments, thermals you have the option to re-wear.

Oh, talk about again, your missionary messenger bag….like where you got it, how much it costs, what do you put in it?  I am happy with what we got Quinn. We just found one at Walmart. I think it was around $20.  Do you carry it in the house if you are on an appointment?
I don't remember which store. Target or something. I was happy with the choice. It seems weird to think I used to use a backpack as a missionary, just used to this now. It was either 15 or 20. probably better than Quinn's. Yes I carry it inside the house when going to an appointment and set it down somewhere inside (if it's dinner I'll put it somewhere out of the way, for a lesson I'll put it basically down by my feet where we sit). That's all the same as what is done with a backpack. Inside I have my scriptures, extra BoM, consecrated oil, some pamphlets, a folder with a ward list and a few other key papers, and anything else I need that day (sometimes PMG or extra give-away materials or something)

Do you try to match your socks to your pants?
I enjoy getting to answer this question.
I both attempt and succeed at matching my socks to my pants each morning. Except once last week I didn't, I don't remember why, I ran out of black socks or something and was lazy, it was kind of funny, I don't think anyone saw but me and my companion.

Are your shoes comfortable? Just wondering.
they are, I have no complaints about them

I liked the Jalapeno(AllUpInYo) joke.

This has been a very good week. a bazillion good things happened. I'll try to tell this first story quickly: We slept over in the reading apartment last friday night to save miles (because our first things the next day were in that city). Saturday morning all those things cancelled. Bummer. We were trying some stop by's and met a couple people, but kind of slow. Elder Tait was scrolling through the contacts in the phone and asked who "Bridget Kimball" was. I explained she was interested a few months ago, then just disappeared. He called, she answered and said she was interested! We taught her The Restoration like 20 minutes after that in the chapel. It went great. She came to church the next day (for the 2nd and 3rd hours. busy morning). We'll see her again next wednesday. Also we got another investigator from a part member family (sort of. They live together, but not married). The member, and asian lady, is recently reactivated. Also we were asked to help with a primary activity going on Saturday (which we did right after teaching Bridget). We had 12 minutes to teach the kids Called To Serve. It went well. We wrote the lyrics on the board and put some pictures up (Crown for "king", etc). There were lots of parents in the room who would sing the song, so even if none of the kids sang it would still sound ok. Also one of the young women has a friend who she's talked to/invited to a lot of dances recently told her friend she wants to become mormon! like, really! she gave her a BoM and has read about 40 pages in. She told her parents who aren't really sure how to react yet. We may get to teach a lesson this next week, hopefully with the parents too. They want to let their daughter choose for herself, but also don't really wwant her to leave from being catholic. Also one of the Young men has a friend who wants to become mormon! he's 9. Pretty similar situation with the parents (a little hesitant but believe in agency). Also there's another youth aged kid (Deonte. Haitian) who's been coming to scouts for a while and we just got the green light to ask him and his mom if we can teach the lessons. Sunday we had dinner at the scoutmaster's house and he had to leave right afterwards to go to the scout court of honor. We decided we should go to, to try to talk with Deonte and his mom! They ended up not being there but we got to talk a lot with CJ's mom and others. Since Deonte wasn't there we offered to take the badges and rank cards he earned and deliver them to his house. We did and they let us right in. Elder Tait (who had a haitian companion he loved) started talking a little Haitian Creole which they loved (Haitian creole being like a ghetto french, that's really what everyone calls it. Except some haitians). It was good we went that night because Deonte's mom's boyfriend, who lives in NH, was there and without him we couldn't have gotten in. Also I forgot to already say, earlier saturday when trying our stop-by's with innactive members we saw another Haitian guy, who really liked hearing Elder Tait speak his language. He also turned out to be the basketball coach for a high school there and coaches one of our YM (The only senior YM in the ward), and he said we could come back to talk. Basically it was a Bonkers week! It was excellent, we are very grateful.

This upcoming week we have some other good things to look forward too including welcoming home Brent Packard home from his mission at the airport (The Packards invited a few zones there. he is in a south-american country) Also of-course looking forward to our Elder Holland mission conference

You guys have had a wild week too! Good job to Kylie for all her things and at getting older! Happy birthday! Glad you were willing to give credit to Paul though, for his song.

For Quinn I hope everything is going well! the MTC is really fun. Everyone there is just eager to be friends. They have lots of practice at making missionaries feel comfortable and good. You'll sing Called to Serve with a giant group of missionaries your first day (if it's the same as me). I still look back at my MTC notes every once and a while, I have my whole mission. When I was there it was "the thing" for everyone to say "Welcome to the M-T-C" all the time in this specific way. My 2 main teacher were Sister Winters and Brother Clements, I still remember them well. All the teachers are great. This week I was thinking about mission advice and thoughts and ideas and 1 especially stuck out. To remember why we serve; specifically to remember that's is not about you. I think trying to do good thing, for whatever motivation, is always good, but, as an example: walking down the street you can stop and talk to them and invite them to the gospel motivated just so you can mentally check off the box saying "I didn't let them walk by, now i'm off the hook" or you can really do it for them. It makes a difference. It is the same thing in lessons, with companions, with studying, praying, really everything. I guess another way of saying it would be to never forget the "why". And don't beat yourself up, none of the missionaries or people around you or even your older brothers or anybody was close to perfect as a missionary or afterwards.

I think that's everything.
Thank you!


No comments: