Sunday, June 15, 2014

Received Monday, April 14, 2014

QUESTIONS:
do you have companion news? like did you get your permanent one? If not, how was your week with being a trio, are you all three living at the vacation home?? Tell us as much as possible!
I will explain. I was actually never in a trio. Some of my missionary amigos who are in Revere 1 area are in a trio, so one of them came over to my area to by my temporary companion. So instead of 1 single and 1 trio we have 2 duo's. I do not have my permanent companion yet, he (Elder Tait) is coming tonight. I talked to him on the phone a few times and he seems like a good guy. I asked him what he was doing for pday today and he said playing quidditch with his zone, like the actual sport people invented after the Harry Potter books. We are still living in the vacation home (we being me and my temporary companion). So as not to keep one person out of there area for too long I switched which person was my companion half-way through the week (taking someone else from Revere 1). It has been good, and kind of hectic, it's been a lot to juggle without having a companion who's familiar with everything going on. My first temporary companion was Elder Salerno, my district leader, it was really fun to have him here a while. Then, Wednesday morning we switched him with Elder Wenner, a newer (6 months) missionary, who is with me now. Elder Tait has a lesson tonight in his area he will teach, then have a member drive him over here around 9:00 at night or so, then we will drive Elder Wenner back to his area and everything will be back to normal (hopefully)

Are you still driving the mini van? Do you drive as much as you did before?
We do not have the mini van anymore (shock!). Also this week we got a call from our vehicle coordinator saying we are switching cars. They decided the mini-van was more useful somewhere else. Also (this is a funny coincidence) in Elder Bushnell's new area, someone (not him) totaled their car, and i guess they really need it, so the decision as that another companionship in our zone would give up there car for this transfer to so they could have one; and we ended up getting their car. it is a 2011 Toyota Corolla (maybe 2012, I can't remember). Silver. Very similar to what we have, even though it's newer. Easy to drive, good turning radius, but a much slower accelerator than the mini-van. So, for anyone keeping track, by the end of today I will have been with 4 companions living, 2 apartments and 2 cars. Luckily, the church is still true.

Advice for Quinn?
I was actually thinking about this during the week. Quinn is in a good spot. He knows he's doing the totally right thing. For advice, the primary answers are the best; read scriptures (especially book of mormon) pray, etc, and do them your very best. Also I would say pray and ask for something good you can do for someone that day, and then when you get an idea (that might feel basically just like all the other ideas you have in a day) trust it is an answer and do it! That is an attainable talent, and a good one to have.
As far as packing and stuff, I don't know. You don't need to bring extra tooth paste. I had an extra toothpaste packed for me (thanks mom!) but I haven't ever opened it, it's still in my suitcase. (a few people have randomly given me free toothpaste on my mission). I'll show you in June.
I talked a bit more with the missionary we have here from Toronto (Elder MacJanet) and he said Quinn would get used to saying "Eh" all the time and not really realize it. Also he said it's cold. 
 
any cherry blossom trees blooming there, any talk of them? Intellectually, I know you and Christopher are far apart, I just have to keep reminding myself of that fact.
no, this is the first I've heard. Everyone is very happy about the weather now though.
 
What has your weather been like? We saw snow up at Grandma's, but we still wore short sleeve shirts, well with long sleeves on top. Quinn was always only in short sleeves.
Today it is 72! this is the warmest it's been, it was in the 50's for most of the week I think. Feels great. I might start wearing my short sleeve shirts soon.

 
What activity are you doing today! (Nice rock climbing last week!)
we are going to the beach! (revere beach). We won't go in the water. I bought a volleyball today in case we get to use it. Also I brought my football and there will also be frisbee's and soccer balls, so there will be plenty to do, not sure what we'll all settle on. Most of the zone is going to be there. Rock climbing last week was very fun. My forearms were so tired (reminded me of the  all day pull-up contest I lost to Steven) and they have been sore all week.
 
I just finished a book about a Muslim man that converted to Mormonism. It was fascinating! Have you run into any Muslims there?
I assume that's the book Grandma wanted to send me? something like My Name Was Muhammad? I think he is coming to our stake for a fireside soon, which would be really cool.
We have a Muslim couple we teach, we just found them a few weeks ago. Did I mention that before? They are both American, grew up catholic/christian and both converted and found each other afterwards. Also I taught a few lessons to a Muslim foreign exchange student in my last area, which was very fun. He was full of questions, but didn't care enough to really find out
One other exciting thing happened yesterday which adds to the hectic-ness. last month during our Stake reporting (the zone leaders and sister training leaders in both Cambridge zones meet with the stake president, president Packard is there too) we talked a tiny bit about a youth missionary fireside, which would include a question and answer section in a panel of missionaries. President Packard assigned the STL's in the other cambridge zone to be in charge. That fireside was yesterday. Once or twice during the week I thought maybe I should call someone and make sure it actually got planned, but didn't. Then, yesterday at the end of our dinner appointment we got a call from someone in our bishopric (who knows we're the ZL's) saying we're at the fireside and there's no missionaries! The dad of the family we were with offered (and we accepted) to drive us over there, and also we were able to text and get one other companionship. We were both like 45 mins late, but got in time to give a small spiel and answer a few questions and talk to the youth. It was really fun, and basically went well, but also made us look kind of bad for being so late. I'm not sure if the original in-charge missionaries got transferred or just forgot, but whatever. I don't think I'll mention it to them.
Tomorrow we (our zone) have our interviews with President, which is always good. Also, next p-day is a holiday here called Patriots Day. A new-England thing. The Red Sox play, and celtics and maybe another team. Also it's the Boston Marathon. A number of other smaller things happen too. We were invited and are going to wake up early to be in Lexington at 5:00 AM to watch the battle reenactment they have every year (and their feeding us breakfast). I hope it's worth it. Then we may go to the marathon for a while and maybe do some other Boston things. It should be fun.
That's all por este Semana!

No comments: