Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Received, Monday, October 28, 2013

QUESTIONS:
Did you get my letter/pictures last week in the mail?
yes, it was fun

Did they gross you out?
the ones with the blood were gross. the ones with the needles were not as gross but kind of weirdly interesting. Kylie looked like it was no big deal, she didn't care, like she gets stuck with needles every day or something

How was your Sunday?
It was good. We also had a good correlation meeting with our WML on Saturday, so he could help us out on sunday at church. We gave him a sheet with this weeks schedule (as set up so far) with all the lessons blocked out were we need someone to come with us, and asked him to go and find/ask people to fill in the spots. It was great because sometimes for people it helps to get asked by a ward member doing their calling then by us missionaries and it relieved us of one stresser of the day. Now we have something like 9 meetings set up with members and another 1 or 2 that still need it. We are very excited. We also taught our Gospel Principles class because we had an investigator there, and the other members we asked to come in to fill it a little bit did a great job contributing/participating and fellow-shipping. Also we got to help in primary! the RS had a visiting teaching conference so they needed people to pitch in. I thought it was lots of fun, even though the kids are kind of crazy. Kids say the funniest things. The girl I was sitting next too told me all sorts of things about her family. We sang Nephi's Courage (did we sing this at my farewell?), A Child's Prayer, Families Can Be Together Forever, and others.

What does your mission president say about rules for Halloween?
It's basically like P-day after 6:00 and you have to be indoors

Is there a chance that kids would come to your door??
maybe very slightly. no one did last year where I was at (in Southcoast). The next door neighbors (two women) have a young trick or treat aged child that could maybe knock on our day. When I was first here, before I knew of the specific family dynamic they have, I saw him outside and said something like "hey, you waiting for your mom or dad?" to which he awkwardly didn't respond. Elder Gallagher later explained

What time does it get dark for you?
like 5:30'ish I think. It's lame. People get grumpy after it's dark, even if it's not late!

Did you ward have a Halloween party?
nope, just the Octoberfest Linger Longer a week ago

What kind of food have you cooked this week?
umm not much. we were fed almost every day! 2 of the times it was a lunch appointment where we ate a ton of food (at a buffet once and a different restaurant another time) and then ended up eating very little for lunch. Oh I did make myself something a bit fancyer than usual early in the week. I made a tuna sandwich and even chopped celery into the tuna. Practically gourmet.

NOW, have you heard people talking about the Red Sox in the World Series?
yea, people do kind of a lot now. There was someone at church yesterday (a Sox fan) from CA who came because he was here to watch a game. The same old lady who always talks about sports, but says things wrong, said something about how the final score was 4 points to 2 points. If Dad were around he could have told her the correct terminology is "runs" and anything else is thoroughly incorrect.

The cardinals are giving them a run for their money!
Dodgers should have won.
Trying to think if I have any other good news updates. You had a lot. Tell Quinn to learn how to not accidentally ask girls on dates; if you do that as a missionary you get in trouble.
I had one thought that has stuck with me a while during study one morning. It was about how "Charity never faileth". That idea connected to a few of my other scriptures I really like, for example in Helamen 3 there is a verse that talks about how the word of god can break apart any of the snares of the devil. Does the word of God teach you Charity, which never fails and can release you from any snare? maybe that sounds like a stretch but the idea that it cannot fail hit me hard. Is that maybe part of the grand test were here for? to see if we can actually figure out and live true charity? That is not formatted very well, but anyway I leaned from the book of mormon: Be nice to people, it's important. (and not the kind of nice where you say "I love the guy to death, but..." and then proceed to rumor and gossip and bad mouth the person for 5 minutes. I feel like I hear that fairly often as a missionary and it's not good.)
That's all!
actually 1 more thing. If you want to send me something, you could send more Pez candy! I still have the Thor Pez head, but he is hungry, and has no pez in his tummy!
Thank you, bye!

No comments: