Monday, October 21, 2013

Received Monday, October 21, 2013

have you met anybody that has ever before played Minecraft?
Yes! there was a boy in primary in my last area that loved minecraft. He talked about it all the time. Many others I've met play it too. I don't really get it.

Have you been making a new/different food for yourself lately?
We got steak from someone who just had it extra in their freezer, but we gave it to another family we know who is waiting for the branch president to come back so they can do  food order. On friday we were on exchanges and I and the person I was with decided to splurge and go to a local pizza place and get calzones. They were so good. Also we were given (by the same people as the steak) some ground beef which we'll make with pasta and red sauce when we are hungry and have time (and are not lazy)

Had any interesting dinner appts?
last week was basically a drought for dinner appts. Yesterday though we had an Octoberfest themed Linger Longer. there was some good braughtwerst (no desire to figure out how to spell that) and other foods. Also homemade root beer, which was good, but I only had a little. I am hungry, will probably eat microwave pizza single at home. We do have a fun dinner appt later today.

How are your investigators doing?
R--- and A----. We didn't have much contact with them this week, things kind of fell through :/ I don't expect anything terrible, but that's not good. over all I would say still like learning the gospel, but still living together (can get married in February).
B--- R------. (his wife just died about month ago) we had a very good 2nd lesson with him this week
N--- D---- (also studying with JW's. Has a hard time understanding. Very nice and strong desires to do what he must to go to heaven). Things also fell through with him. He called us to let us know and reschedule though.
F---- family (PMF). Sister F----- is unfortunately the queen of canceling. The lessons there awlays seem to go great though. I hear the best strategy is too show up 15 mins early so she doesn't have time to cancel. I expect very good things. They seem to be related to everyone in town and they all are sort of interested in the gospel. We need to find a way to get some consistency though.
B------ K------. Doing well. Comes to church every week, but only the first hour. Possibly baptized in November. The hard thing is we likes to leave church early so he can spend more time with his (catholic) busy family. It's hard to be the only member in a family, basically I think it comes down to you need the faith to believe you living the gospel the very best will be the best thing for your family. He is a big believer in leading by example, which is good (he is married with 3 kids). He just finished being the lead in The Death of a Salesman. We helped him with practicing lines which was fun.


People talking about the world series out there? Boston Red Sox and all….
not a ton. I didn't know about the world series till I read the email. I think part of that is the members don't bring it up to us. We did service at a Blood Drive and I was again with the people at the end at the food table (where I like to faint) and as I would talk with the people almost all of them mentioned they were going to watch the game that night and how Big Papi got them that one big comeback. I don't think i've encountered to many big sports fanatics here, but almost everyone is at least a passive fan. It's the social norm to watch the games.

What are you doing for p-day today?
Magic. Also we drove up to this hill to take some pictures (there was a tower on top called poet seats tower. Very good scenery. Also there was some low quality graffiti, except for the words of wisdom painted on the bottom of the steps "watch out for hobos" which I thought was funny). I'll figure out about getting them home sometime soon (the pictures, not any hobos)

**our missionaries here in our ward have switched over to the missionary bag with one strap; just like you. I guess THAT IS the new way of things.
remember at conference President Monson talked about shepards? I think it was during the priesthood conference. Reading this and remembering that caused Elder Gallagher and I to have this conversation
me: Elder, what was that really cool name you said during general conference for our satchels?
him: oh ummmm, it was Shepard's bags!
me: yea!
Then I wondred if it is an odd missionary blessing that I get to think the name "shepards bag" is really cool for my man-purse. 
anyway.
It would be interesting to see Tim Tebow on the rams! it sounds like Bradford is kind of what makes everything work there though. Both StL and Sjax seem to have a hard time staying away from bad luck.

This was a good week, seemed to go by very fast.
We had a miracle thursday night. There is a member in out branch that has PTSD who normally loves to come out with us to lessons, and be very actively engaged with church in many ways. but sometimes goes into depression slumps. He was in one. We've tried to contact him for a few weeks with limited success. Thursday we called him, had a 10 or so minute conversation, which seemed good, but he still was very discouraged and didn't plan on coming back to church this week or anything. Afterwards we texted out EQP and asked him to give him a call. He said he was just thinking about that member and did. Afterwards the EQP texted us and said the member would be at church on sunday. He was and seems ready to get right back into the swing of things. It was great.
I guess thats why its cool to have "shepard's bags." We get to have many experiences trying our best to be a "true undersheperd" and do whatever we can to help the flock.

That's everything! Keep doing good! have fun being pricked by needles and all the rest!


No comments: