Sunday, September 1, 2013

Received Monday, August 19, 2013

Practice? Practice?!? we're sittin here, you're supposed to be a franchise choir director, and we're talkin 'bout practice!!!!

good job, glad your practice came through!

QUESTIONS:
Do you hear much about sports from people there?
sometimes, a little. I'm never sure how much I should engage someone in a sports conversation. Usually though I realize the person doesn't actually know much about sports, so I don't feel to bad I couldn't talk sports with them. Just yesterday we were at a dinner someone mention Tim Tebow (and his struggles). I said I liked him, at watched him when he was playing college too. She then asked something about why would a mormon like him go to Notre Dame anyway. I was amused.
That's fun to hear the Dodgers are doing well. I've always been surprised how little baseball I hear up hear, maybe because the Sox have been struggling for a while.
Good luck to everyone on the Fantasy draft, interesting choice to look into PPR. Will Bradford get drafted?



Have you heard about the greatness of the dodgers?
not at all. Quick funny story I just thought of though: The license plates here are a bright'ish red. Very different from our dark blue California plates. I found that very strange when I got here, took a while to adjust, I halfway expected that everyone was always staring at them wondering why they were so strange looking. This week I saw a car from CA and I thought the dark plate letters were so weird! funny how that happens. The reason I thought of that was because I just thought that it's funny CA w/the blue dodgers have blue plate letters and here in Red Sox town it's red.


How was church for you today?
fine. Nothing astounding happened. I helped pass the sacrament. we taught youth sunday school like always. I am giving a talk here AGAIN this sunday. Elder Gallagher and I are both speaking. I feel like I said most of my missionary stuff last time, i'll figure out how to mix it up for this week.


In your branch, are their missionaries out from that branch?
no, but 1 YM just finished his papers, 1 will get his call in a week or so.


Doing anything of interest today?
the other elders in our district are driving down here, which very rarely can happen (it's about a 50 mile drive). We might play Risk


Talk about this new “adventure pack”...have you got one; will you have to buy one? Do you think all the NEW missionaries will have to bring those instead of backpacks? Are they like a messenger bag? Is this coming from your Mission President or higher up?
yes, like messenger bags (satchel, man purse, it's all the same). The rule change was from the most higher ups. I think that's what the call packets have been saying for maybe 6 months are so now. you could read about all the dress code changes for Elders on line. Some lighter suits are also now ok, in some places close toed sandles are ok (not here) and kakey color pants also. I got my bag in a Target. It's not too terrible. Big enough to fit my stuff. It will be weird to get used to though. Spent 20$ (and the cashier didn't mock my dodger themed debit card) which is a good deal I think.


PICTURES: I have a memory card for a camera right here: it is an SD card. Can you use that? Like, I will send this to you, when you get it, you put it in your camera and send my your memory card. I put those pictures on my computer and send back the memory card. IF your camera uses a different memory card, I can buy one of those and send it to you. What do you think?? 
The SD card in my camera is small and blue, 2GB. the camera in a Canon Poweshot SD1300 IS
That can work. Should I just send mine home in a padded envelope?


Sad about losing your flash drive…not the worse thing, though.
yup.


Feeling healthy?
yup.


Do you shop at Walmart? Christopher and Chase are both Walmart Grocery shopper lovers!
yup. my whole mission we've always gone to Walmart. Works out well.


We got to watch the temple groundbreaking on tv yesterday of the Hartford temple (which is about 5 mins from my last area). The choir director for it was in my last home ward. President Monson was there and a 70. He and a bunch of other people turned over some dirt with golden shovels. A lot of people from the community (city officials and stuff) got too go. A high up catholic person was there (Dionysus I think) wearing an all white suit, looked like he was ready to work inside a temple.

I don't think I have any other particular stories for this week. In the last 2 weeks we've had 3 different less active members and 4 non-members come to church, which has been neat. the less actives were people we've been working with and the non-members  mostly friends of people at church. 2 came to hear a friend give a talk yesterday. I was really happy for the member who invited them, it's our new EQP who's been great

Happy birthday to quinn coming up! that's the most surprising birthday number for someone while on my mission. 18 is old!
thank you all for everything. I love you

No comments: