Monday, March 25, 2013

Received Monday, March 25, 2013

 Still no new pictures from Zak....so, I make up as I go!
Here are a few as Zak grows....
                                                                                   Here he is home from his first
                                                                                    Boy Scout High Sierra Trip;
                                                                                    2005, he is 12. That is his
             First day of 4th Grade!                         brother, Chase and Dad in the picture.

Here he is, after being in the the MTC for about 3 weeks.


There are quite a few things in this letter that you, the reader, may not understand. I will put an explanation in red so you can comprehend the fullness of Zak. ENJOY!



QUESTIONS:
How do you like the time change? Is it now light when you wake up? Or was the whole thing a non-issue for you?
it was not a big deal. I haven't thought about the light or anything. I kind of just forgot anything was even different.

What of that BYU-I talk that Bro Bednar gave?
I do remember telling you about that now. I saw a video of him giving it while I was in the mtc. I really liked it, I've looked over my notes (especially because I think it's in that talk he chastises people about the way they take notes and never look at them again). My favorite example he gave was how Christ healed the ear of one of the soldiers who was capturing/imprisoning him. In Jesus the Christ it also talks about how he would not use the priesthood to make himself bread after he had fasted 40 days and was suffering and tempted (food being a life necessity but very soon after he did turn water to wine for a wedding (a luxury) just to make his Mother and others happier (and he did not take credit).

This is a beautiful talk given by Elder Bednar to students at BYU Idaho in 2003. Here is a link if you are interested in reading it!

That's a great talk for President Becera to share. Now being a missionary and more appreciating what a mission president is I wish I had paid more attention to him and the missionaries and see how they do things in the Arcadia mission.

One thing I really love about the direction President Packard is pushing us is that with all our working with members we can see how people do have that desire to share the gospel, and we get to help. It can be pretty hard to actually make it real; bring the theory of sharing the gospel to real life. I think a lot of times for everyone we can hear a great talk or feel the spirit in many ways, but after wards we kind of have a "therefore... what?" moment. I really enjoy being able to help both inspire and especially educate how. It can be tough, because it involves change, but that's what faith, repentance, endure to the end, etc (the gospel of Jesus Christ) is all about.

(I don't feel like I have as much to report this week, so I guess I have not choice but to give a soliliqua about my missionary thoughts) (miss-spelling here was intentional)
 Here Zak is making a reference to an episode of Survivor. One time a guy got up and said that he wanted to give a soliloquy but he pronounced it wrong. It was very funny.

Did you get your socks?
I am wearing them now! It was fun to get 2 packages at once. Very good pictures. Funny to be flipping through and seeing all the idaho pictures seeing: snow. snow. snow. sledding in snow. snow. then: Sunny Beach in Hawaii! both looked like fun adventures. it was good to see Kylie's eye too. I am glad you could find the cheapest way to get around UPS silliness
 I sent Zak some pictures. We went to Idaho to see Grandma and to go sledding. Kerry and I also got the opportunity to go to Hawaii, I included those pictures too. Kylie also enjoys taking artsy pictures and likes to take pictures of her eye! Zak has also sent us a picture of his eye too. It also ended up being FAR cheaper to send Zak 2 packages than to have it all in one envelope. Ridiculous! Just know that anything 13 ounces or under goes 1st class, and the cost is under $2.50;  over 13 ounces and it is way more expensive.

Did you get the CFP card...maybe you didn’t “get” it...
yes! I think that was a week ago in a different package with pictures and things. I didn't get it initially, except that you also sent an annotated email that I sent home highlighting the line (C)ole (F)amily (P)ower!

Good job to everyone on there sports successes! I think the best analogy for griffin's baseball heroics would have been our ol' pal Jeffery, seeing he was the champion of hitting doubles. In Griffin's games who does the pitching? Dad always said hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports.  Griffin was at bat with 2 outs, bases loaded. He hit a double, bringing everyone in!!

Scoring goals is always fun to. I didn't get to score too many, so that's good for her. Kylie scored a goal in her soccer game!  She is also going to interview to be on the Arcadia High School newspaper.
I'll be interested to hear what happens with the AHS newspaper idea.It was never my kind of thing; maybe I should have taken English honors and I would have had such academically admiral ambitions.
Or maybe kylie should just send an app to Harvard now so she can skip high school and we'll hang out on P-days. I can ask President (Clayton) Christensen to pull a few strings and make it happen.

I'm sure Chase will be perfectly fine by the time I email next; infact he'll probably have forgotten about the whole thing (uh-oh...). Chase went skiing on Saturday, he fell, hit is head, got a concussion and had NO short term memory. By Monday, he is doing much better. He remembers nothing of Saturday. Good thing there is video...
that sort of thing is sort of scary though, but how long did it take Steven to completely get over it after his dodgeball related head-clonk? Steven got a concussion a year or more ago. He tried to drive home, but couldn't remember how to do it...someone had to come and pick him up. Thanks, Kathleen Magnusson.
has he gotten a blessing from anyone?

This week one of the young men here got there mission call. Going to Brazil. A lot of people were invited over to watch and there was some food; we went too. His dad thanked us and said the missionaries here, especially Elder Holt and his last companion, really helped him make the decision. it was cool. Also while there one of the young women asked if I was from arcadia, I said yes, and she said she knows Jared Colten! Her name is Courtney Lyons and she knew him at BYU I. I guess back then she was living in Chicago but has since lived here. Pass on the information!

Later today we are going to the ESPN HQ! we'll be in the tour in a few hours. I have my camera. Not sure yet whether I'll spend some money on overpriced EPSN stuff. I feel like I really ought to get some form of memorabilia Maybe they'll let me be the guest star on SportsNation or something; I'd talk about Kylie and griffin's achievements and include a quote from a college QB legend: "when you live right, good things happen". Actually, it was Austin Collie who said this, he is a receiver for the Colts. I think he said this after a BYU game. Nice try, Zak. So close!

This week had it's usual ups and downs. I think we're being tested a little bit to see if we believe if evert success really is an invite, which is something we say a lot. According to Ether 12 (especially verse 37) it is; and the Book of Mormon really tends to be right about this sort of thing, so I'll have to remember that.

One super cool thing was yesterday in Priesthood at the end of the announcements someone stood up and quickly talked about how the day after we had a visit with his family they had a great missionary experience and he felt we really helped and he really appreciated it. It was completely unexpected for him to do that, and very nice.

We now have assignments from the Elders Quorum, Relief Society and High Priest's of things they'd like us to help with which is great. Mostly it's tracking down people they don't know, and for some people connecting home teachers to their teachee's.

so most of the members are doing good, the leadership is doing pretty good, the recent converts are doing pretty good, hopefully this next week our investigators will achieve "doing good" status as well (they are priority #1 after all).

alrighty, that about covers all my exciting news for this week. Love you all!

Love you too, Zak!

No comments: