Monday, July 23, 2012

Received Monday, July 23, 2012

**Editor's note:  I sent Zak a letter with a section where I wrote all my questions. He used that to write this e-mail; that's where the questions come from. Enjoy! Oh, and no, he did not start with any salutation, he just began!

I'm here in massachussetts! I'm in the church, where they have computers for family history stuff we can use. normally i'll have about an hour to email, but today we're a little more rushed. here's my address before I forget to put it here:
Elder Cole
618 Dartmouth Woods Drive
Dartmouth, MA 02747

you could probably google earth that and get a better idea of where I am than I actually have, but it's on the eastern part of MA. I have seen the Atlantic ocean! the area is called South Coast. btw, the mission office does forward mail every day so it's not a huge deal/delay if people find it easier to send mail there instead. I got lots of email today from Mom/Dad because I haven't been able to check my email in a while. I've heard everything from talks in church, where the YM/YW sit in the car when they hang out (which was interesting haha), and what the people were wearing who sat next to mom at church. Over all everything is good here, my companion Elder Woodruff is great. I already feel pretty comfertable with everything here. Now i'll answer mom's questions

Q Where are you??
good.

Q:How about your current living address?
(above)

Q:Did you get to do some laundry before today??
yes. supposedly our appartment is like the nicest in the mission, and we have a washer and drier with us, so I was able to use that. I would have run out of garments otherwise.

Q:HOW is everything going??
good.

Q:What has your weather been like?
the weather here is weird. It changes a lot from day to day. At first it was pretty hot, i think 99 degrees, but it actually didn't feel too bad for me. I think I've heard enough about how hot/humid it was here that i was well prepared. I've played football and ran in hotter weather at home, so it doesn't bother me much. In a couple of months the cold will be tough though I think. After that it suddenly was cooler and rainy and we heard thunder and lighting and we got a text warning us if the weather is too extreme to just go home and I don't have time for correct grammer. or spelling.

Q:Are you sweating like crazy?
actually no! maybe i'm used to sweating, so it doesn't feel like a lot to me, or maybe just walking around doesn't make me sweat so much. Also wearing garments has also made me feel like I sweat less just because my actuall shirt doesn't get sweaty, which is nice.

Q:Happy with the amount of short sleeve shirts you have?
yes.

Q:How do you get around?
in a car (with AC). We actually end up spending a lot of time in the car, which is lame. our Area, is just really big. if you want to look at it in Google maps/earth, we live in Dartmouth, most of our ward/investigators live in New Bedford and a bunch live in Fall River (I think that's what it's called) and all 3 of those places are pretty spread out so it just takes a lot of time/miles. we usually drive like 80 miles in a day, and we (and by we I mean mostly my trainer because I'm just figuring stuff out) try to be as efficient as possible with our miles, but it's just hard. Also we get fed dinner basically every night, which is great, but it seems like we always have to drive a ways away to get to the dinner appointment. We actually spent some time using a computer at the Staples (Couple missionaries) place to make a map with google earth of where a lot of the people live who
we'll visit so we can see the most efficient way to get from place to place.

Q: Talk about your meals!
every dinner but 1 so far has been with a member, and that's how it usually is. For breakfast/lunch I often make oatmeal (oatmeal+water and/or milk and peanut butter and brown sugar. I put it into the microwave. I haven't boiled water at all since being here. or used a pot or pan) which is good. Also I'll eat cereal in the morning sometimes. also I'll make sandwhiches (either peanut butter or with sandwhich meat we have in the fridge). We basically live the Law of consecration with food. We did run out of milk and bread and most of our cereal a few days ago, which made things slightly more difficult, but mostly I just ate more oatmeal because of it.

Q:Talk about your living arrangements!
in a decent apartment place. we live with two other missionaries, who are in the same area/ward as us (Elder Castro and Elder Concha). Elder Castro is training Elder Concha. I like them both a lot too. Especially Elder Concha, because he's new like me, and he's from Brazil, which is cool and makes it fun to talk to him. He lived in Utah for 2 years doing an exchange program so he speaks great English (and portugues and spanish). He think's it's funny I liked to listen to Taylor Swift (apprently in Brazil only girls listen to her. That's wierd). And he cracked up laughing when I refered to her as T-Swizzle.
Also, we play Soccer every Saturday morning (a lot of our investigators/new converts and people are YW/YM age and they like it a lot) and E Concha dominated.

Q: Do the people talk with an accent?
I can notice it sometimes. It's not a big deal. There's a lot of immigrant/foreign people here so I think it's a little different than
actual Boston would be. A ton of people here are from Cape Verd (not sure about spelling. that phonetical) which i guess is a group of islands by Africa. Also not that many people are really into sports that i've talked to, which I think is prartially because they aren't from here

What activity will you do today for your p-day?
Today we're going with the Staples to Rhode Island (i don't remember the name of the place). The Staples are awesome and helpful.  I think we're just looking ant mansions and stuff, so i'm hoping it's fun. I'll bring letter writing stuff, but I don't know If i'll be able to use them. I'm sure we'll find people to talk about the church to while we're there though. Also the Staples are feeding us all 3 meals, they really are super nice.

Did you get my letter I sent through the regular mail?
The only letter I've gotten since being in MA is from my friend Janna. I don't remember specifically what I got while still in the MTC, but I got a lot of stuff.

That's all the questions.
Like I said, in general things are going great. I'm learning all I can. Today was a weird week and all our numbers were low, but we did work hard and this was a weird/crazy week. I'm excited for my first full week here, especially since I kind of know what I'm doing a lot better. How exciting about Nana and Bumpa, I new they were thinking about going to NZ for the PEF mission, but now it's 100% for real. Also it's good to hear Quinn's eagle stuff is really getting knocked out. alright time is running out.

I love you all!

No comments: