Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Handwritten letter RECEIVED July10, 2012


July 4, 2012

Dear Familia,
         
          I just realized I forgot to say happy Independence Day in the email! Oh well. Feel happy and Patriotic when you get this anyway. Some questions I forgot to answer: Normally we go to the temple of out P-day (Wednesday), but bow it’s shut down for cleaningL.Today we just walked to the grounds and wrote letters and stuff. We got to go last week which was great, though. We also do a temple walk every Sunday.
          Heather was very upset I never mentioned that I shower everyday and told me I need to go take a shower. The truth is that I shower every day after gym, so I hope that calms any worries.
          I have seen friends from BYU here. It is always very exciting (and funny when you call them Elder).
          We are pretty good in class (not rowdy), but during “study time” people lose focus and goof around a little more. Everyone likes our teachers.
          I have not every “worked the phones” where people ask about the church and I gave not heard anything about it.
          It seems like our entire zone has the cold right now (including me). It’s not that bad, but the congestion/sore throat are irritating. I just started taking the allergy stuff again.
          I’m happy with everything I packed. I will probably buy a few more hangers here. There are 4 elders total in my sleeping room. Unpacking was not a big deal (I feel like that was months ago). No one has said anything about hair styles/getting a part. I’ll get my hair cut (for free) here before I leave. (What instructions should I give?)
          Dad mentioned that I haven’t written about my companion so I must hate his guts. This is not the case. Elder Orgill is great. Very easy to get along with and laid back. He’s from Bluffdale (spelling?), Utah. He went to Snow College for a year. Also he isn’t someone who often starts being a distraction during study time, which is nice. I think that answers all the questions. I remember Christopher asked some questions about my first days here, but I can’t find the exact letter so I hope I answered everything.
          My flight to Boston is July 11th (Wednesday) at 9:50 Utah time a.m. I should be able to use a calling card to call home sometime before that. I hope someone is awake. I should get to Boston at 4:30. I don’t know if I’ll be allowed to email, but I will have a 6 hour flight to write letters.
          Later today we get out of class early to see the fireworks at the Stadium of Fire thing. I’m not sure exactly why/where we’ll be watching from, but it should be cool.
          The district that just left our zone (we get 1 and lose 1 every week) went to South Salt Lake and there mission home is in Sandy, so if any Utah relatives see an Elder Mutton, he’ll probably remember me. He’s from Australia and has an accent. I wasn’t really super close to any of the other people though.
          Random interesting thing: people here are always singing regular songs, but “mormonizing” the lyrics. It was kind of funny at first, but now might be somewhat excessive. I mentally give people minus 3 clever points every time they sing this* just because I’ve heard it so much:

*Hey, I just  met you,        (I’ll let you guess what the tune is)
 And this is crazy,
But here’s some scriptures,
So read them maybe.

          Today I couldn’t help myself from singing this though:

It’s P-day, P-day,
Get to write home on P-day
 

(Inspired by Rebecca Black)

          Every Monday we do “service,” basically cleaning or something for the MTC for an hour. It’s actually pretty nice, since it’s more physical and not in a classroom. Last Monday I vacuumed chalkboard erasers. I got to do it by myself and I was using a loud vacuum (with ear muff things), so at times I found myself singing. At one point I caught myself singing:
         
“forest of feelings, care-lot and Earth aren’t far apart”

Even though I haven’t seen/discussed the carebears movie in years. Very strange. also I have I am a Child of God stuck in my head and a few of the other hymns like every day. That’s about everything. I’m surprised at the struggle to find Quinn an Eagle project. I have no ideas. I can’t believe so many people are rejecting 100 free service hours. Also Christopher’s root canal sounds very not fun but hopefully it solves his problems. Good luck with everything!
                                                Love,
E.     Z.P.C.
P.S. I’m getting my hair cut on Tuesday, what instructions should I give?

1 comment:

Tatia said...

JULIE!! First of all, for the past 6 months there have been major problems with the calling cards the missionaries have been buying at the MTC. the local news station even did a story on it. haley bought a card with 500 minutes but the phone she was on kept disconnecting and the even though she had only used like 15 of the minutes the card was nearly empty. Eventually, I had her paged by the airport and she spoke to us on the white phone...
tell Zak to check it out...
PLUS...Don has already spoken to Elder Mutton!!!!! He is assigned to our stake!!! Isn't that funny!!! And I love his name and the fact that he is from Australia... Great stuff!