Monday, January 28, 2013

Received Monday, Jan 28, 2013

Zak tells some funny stories in this letter. He tells of being so cold; and if he can fit in a dryer. I looked for pictures that might add to his stories, but I found none! So, just enjoy Zak being a missionary where it looks like he is at a missionary conference. He is enjoying the work.




QUESTIONS:
Did you shovel snow in the church parking lot?
sort of. We just had to shovel the snow off the walkways into the building and put some salt down. The guy didn't really need too much of our help, it was quick and easy. and not too overly freezing cold.

Did you get your new ward mission leader yet?
no, I think the bishop was not able to contact the person he wanted to ask. I think I know who it is (really just a guess), a younger RM who is pretty quiet. He was not at church yesterday. I guess we get to wander in the wilderness a little longer.

What mail did you get this week?
umm its hard to remember. My friend Janna was home for break and she wrote. I should put this stuff in my journal, but I never think about it at night. oh, I got the letter about the brownies! I had 2 thoughts when I saw the picture, first: DAD! second: I remembered doing that one time, but I thought I was about griffin's age, not something he should remember. I probably did it more than once. Good remembering for him!
NOTE FROM MOM/Julie: Here is the picture on the right that I sent to Zak. Griffin took that piece out of the pan of brownies. He said he saw Zak do it, so he thought it was ok...

FROM GRIFFIN: What do you and other missionaries do for fun?
I think you asked this before! after the questions I'll put in a story of something I did for fun yesterday

How is your health?
fully back to normal

Have you used her little hand warmers yet that you got for Christmas?
yes!
If yes; how did they work?
well, it was when we were doing service for a redcross food bank, carrying food out to people's cars. I put them in my gloves. When I got home I put them under my earmuffs to warm my face and it felt really good.

Have you used your golf ball yet?
no, I can knock on doors ok with the gloves I have. It'll be if I have to go and buy big poofy winter-snow gloves that i'll need them. my current gloves are only slightly poofy but have been sufficient thus far.

Talk about your weather last week and the upcoming week!!
it stinks. is getting better

Sunday morning we woke up and it was really cold in the house. like 62 degrees, even though we had the heat on, but it was clearly broken. it felt much colder (our house is very drafty) and stayed that way all day. when we got home at night and planned then changed I put on a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt and my trench coat and beanie. I said it was way too cold and told Elder Beck I should get in the dryer and have him turn it on for a few minutes (joking). He said I couldn't fit in the dryer anyway. I said I could and bet 5 pushups on it. he accepted. when we went over to the dryer it was much smaller than I remembered, but after peeling off a few layers and about a half hour of contorting and squishing I fit myself entirely inside. pictures with proof will come on a later date.   That's what missionaries do for fun.

the weather this week was pretty cold, I don't know if it was ever single digits during the day though. I wore basically all my winter stuff (thermals, trench coat, scarf, etc) I think everyday. We got by ok though. It's when it's windy that it feels super freezing.

a few days ago I realized something. My entire life I would sometimes say something about how it's freezing outside, but I would be exaggerating. Now when I say that it's literal. An understatement even; I don't like that,
There's snow everywhere. It's supposed to get pretty warm this week though. Even hit 50's on wednesday! Maybe the weather is trying to convince all the Provo people they should leave on a mission because it'll be so much warmer wherever they go.

last monday we finally went to building 19. It was mad ghetto, but Elder Beck found the only cool thing. It was a book called "The Beck diet solution". He couldn't resist buying it (remember he's lost about 60 lb's on his mission). very funny. Later that day we were invited to help out/support at our wards first (not young) Single Adult Home Evening. There was lots of personality there, very funny, even if not everyone always meant to be. Sort of weird/awkward for us to be there but the person in charge really appreciated it. Mostly we just said the opening/closing prayers and gave the spiritual message and told her good job whenever she started getting really stressed. They all seemed to like having a group which was good. Maria, who was recently baptized was there and liked it, it was actually at her house. We might get to go again next month.

It was a good week. 2 different people we met with have friends who they've been talking to who might become new investigators this week, which would be awesome. Also a couple members we've been working with just reached out to innactive friends who want to get back into the church, but are having a hard time doing it on there own and would like to meet with us, which is also super good.

I ate an intersting thing this week at lunch. We've had a can of chili (con carne) (with meat) for a while, and every time I see it I want to make a chili dog, but don't want to buy a thing of hot-dogs because I don't know if i'll want the rest. This week someone gave us a free bag of hot dog buns (which are cut across the top, not the side, which is a weird NE thing) so I felt like I had to make use of the chili. I cooked some chicken and put it on the buns like a hot dog and enjoyed my chili-chicken dog very much.

a few different families in the ward have had bad occurrences at their homes this week. One was a fire and the other had to do something with pipes bursting and soaking/ruining most of their stuff and wrecking the house. It's sad, but the cool thing to see was how quickly the ward could help them out. Both got places to stay and everything they needed to get by and be relatively comfortable. We were able to help bring them some things and I just enjoyed seeing the true christian spirit about it.

That's everything from me. It was fun to read all the fun things going on at home (in the warmth!) It was good to read the Rams have had such good coaches/scouts lately they are able to be a factory for pro-bowl players and are charitable enough to share the wealth. I forgot to bring the list with me, but I remember thinking Chase had the best Fantasy [in our family fantasy football] name. Heather and Steven get bonus points for good comp unity though. Quinn will probably get admitted to BYU for his service and basketball sacrifice. and good job to Christopher for taking the classic first day of school picture.

Love you all!

No comments: