Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Received Dec 31, 2012

 It's just nice to see Zak's face; so here he is with another elder...Elder Udy
a picture of Zak's Christmas tree

(It was Zak's 20th birthday on December 30th)


Thank you for the happy birthday!

Did you sing Ring Out Wild Bells in church today?
Yes! I was very excited, even though I don't actually like singing it. It just reminds me of playing Dota and saying the phrase "the year is dying".

Did anyone say “happy birthday”, like ward people?
The missionaries did. I think 1 or 2 other people remembered. I/someone also mentioned it in conversation a few times then they did. Maria said if I told her sooner she would have made a cake. Sister Perry, a really nice person in the ward with a BeeBee aged daughter has a birthday on the same day (or maybe one before or after).

How did you like your presents?
yes, very much. The thermals were great, I wore them on my birthday (they came on christmas).

Sorry about all the MORE sugar items....
its ok. I finished the first box of trix Saturday night. I only ate a few of the chewy cookies though. I also had a few of the butterfingers which were super good. Eating a lot of sugary food makes me feel gross now though. maybe its a good thing.
we have SO much junk food right now. we weighed it and it came out to something like 14 pounds (literally). I took a picture of all of it


SURPRISED about you getting long underwear?? Hmm..was that Christmas or b-day...
not super surprised, but I was happy about it.

I really like the Captain America shirt I got for Christmas a lot, I almost don't want to use it as a work out shirt, except that's basically the only time I could wear it. the swooshy pants have been very nice as well, I use them every morning.

on friday night we checked the mail and there was a slip saying I had a package in the office, but it was already closed. It was also closed saturday and sunday so I didn't get the package from Dad till today. I had totally forgotten he painted those. I really like it. I wish I had a good way to put it up. An excellent painting on MA and the temple (with a 13 star flag). The football logos were funny too.

I opened my first (of 2) packs of football cards and the very first card I saw was Steven ACTION Jackson! "The lone player to rush for at least 1,000 yards every season since 2005. The consensus MVP of all time"*
*quote only slightly edited.
I was very surprised that I happened to get him. kind of funny.
I also got Jonathon Joseph of the Texans and Jason Babin of The Dream Team.
That reminds me, I happened to talk a little with someone in the ward about the Patriots on the week they played the Texans. He was confident the Pats would win, but mentioned the Texans have a good D because their DE J.J Watt is basically "unstoppable".

The NFL playoff picture is weird to see just because it is so different than what I would remember. I can't believe two dork rookie QB's made it.
Dad should be required to root for whoever picks up his pal Andy.

Talk about New Year’s Eve: rules, any appointments; any plans;
Thats today. No special rules. It's p-day then we're seeing a less active member (wh's trying to quit smoking) then going up to the Spearins. I guess people here like to have Chinese food on New Year's so that's what they're getting. The Rubensteins (at their house on Christmas) told us they had missionaries over till past midnight last year. After we said we couldn't do that she said "the rules sure have changed a lot". Someone else said the same thing a while ago when we said we couldn't go swimming in their pool. I can't believe when I got here it was summer.

what about the Eve and the actual Day? Can you watch the ROSE Parade? It will be like seeing our weather; you can say you drive down that street; you see the lines that the floats have to follow; lots of good conversational points to make.
just a regular day. Can't watch the rose parade. I just asked Elder Beck If he new what it was and he has never heard of it. Neither have the other missionaries in the apartment. I'll ask the Spearins if they've heard of it. The kids will say no (we found out a few weeks ago they had never heard of Michael Jordan) but I bet the parents will say yes.

Do anything fun today?
we pulled out all our money from the new month and put it in our consecration pot. Also we shamelessly played a bunch of Pokemon matches ( if it helps validate me at all my lifetime record is 11-3)

Did you eat somewhere good yesterday?
A member fed us like usual. It was good. Also Chris and the other kids at that house made us lunch which was nice of them.

What did you eat?
food, with a side of comida.
for dinner someone made us potatoes con carne, with meat! (pork). Chris and co. made us some chicken and rice and mashed potatoes (which didn't taste good. but was very nice.)

Saturday night it was snowing a ton. It was kind of scary to be driving in. huge snowflakes. It was the first time it really snowed a lot since I've been here. there was a good chance church was going to be canceled the next day, but it cleared up a little bit, so it was still on. Still lots of snow everywhere though. Very few people at church. We almost had to go and help shovel out the parking lot, but someone get to it first. We helped prepare, pass and clean up the sacrament.
I wore my nice snow boots.
The 2nd hour was combined and all about the new youth curriculum. I thought it sounded really good. I think it'll be great, and not a coincidence its changing right after the missionary age change.

I'm still getting lots of merry christmas cards from the ward which is very nice. Sister Cramer said mom did a good job in relief society.

I would have said the same thing as dad about your song choice at karaoke (very good story). Good sports update. What's new with the Clippers? still Lob city? Still have the dunking guy who would benefit from free throw lessons in-between Counter-Strike games with Griffin?

You can add these questions to the New Years game
which Nephite prophet raised his brother from the dead? A: Nephi
What is Sam Bradford's number? A: 8
Which Chapter in the Book of Mormon has the most verses? A: Jacob 5


can you send my earmuffs and a beanie for my birthday? (unless you can't find any good ones in sunny CA). It might actually get cold from now on.

That's everything! I had a great holdiayful week! make some good new years resolutions (and then keep them!) tell griffin have fun playing baseball, but don't do steroids!

p.s. I just got a text saying president wants us home by 8:00 tonight. Guess we can't take a midnight swim like i was hoping... (just kidding!)

No comments: