Monday, January 7, 2013

Received Monday, January 7, 2013

This picture was sent to me on Sunday night, January 6th.
He ate dinner at the home of the Mello's. 
That mother takes the picture and then sends it to me. SO NICE!

                Elder Wilding          Elder Beck         Elder Cole          Elder Lopes

 QUESTIONS:
Who are the other two elders in the picture? I am sure you have talked about them, but I just don’t remember, sorry.
There is me, my companion Elder Beck and Elders Wilding and Lopes. Wilding was Elder Concha's companion, he got here the same time as Elder Beck. Elder Wilding is Elder Lopes' (pronounced Lopez) trainer. (now in his 2nd transfer). Everyone but me is from Utah (Elder Lopes was born in Brazil though and has spent a lot of time there. Still has lots of family living there). Elder Wilding was the biggest pusher for us living the law of consecration (which I like a lot). Elder Lopes has spent the most money on pokemon cards. Wilding was called to speak portugues.

What did Sis. Mello serve for dinner?
They always serve a soup and a meal. We had french onion soup. Both of their kids at home were shocked to hear none of us missionaries had any recollection of eating it before. They don't realize growing up 90% of the time for dinner I just had food, not fancy french soups. for the main meal there were green beans, mashed potatoes and meatloaf which I really enjoyed. It was a very good meal. They are a great and strong family. their kids all play musical instruments, are all in the ward choir, sister Mello plays the organ at church and their daughter does the hand wagging. Also she gets to be the person who does the "stand up" hand signal during the rest hymns, which I think would be fun. I don't know if Sister Mello works. I would guess no. She has a calling in primary.

What fun are you doing today?
I think we're going to go to this store called Building 19 because people always talk about how ghetto it is. It has all the reject stuff from other stores. I went there in my first transfer and resisted an unexpected urge to spend like 12$ for a toaster that would (supposedly) toast a patriots logo into the toast.

What is the best thing you ate this week?What is the worst thing you ate this week?
The Mello meal was quite delicious. Also last night at the Campbell's house we had a scrumptious chicken and spaghetti meal. It seems we've been getting fed a little less lately and I'm unfortunately beginning to get tired of making the same stuff all the time. Just a few hours ago I microwaved an egg and ate it on a bagel someone gave us yesterday and that was good though. It seems somehow wrong to me to microwave an egg, but I've seen others do it enough it did anyway.

Have you heard much talk about the new Sunday school/priesthood class lessons that will be taught this year...they way they will be taught?
I was going to email about that last week, but forgot. The answer is a yes! a week from yesterday's church (the same one that had very few people because it was so snowy) had a combined 2nd hour all about the new youth program. I think it sounds great. I'm sad I missed out on it by just a few years. I bet it'll be kind of tough at first but after not to long it'll be working really well. It's not a coincidence it's being implemented right after the age drop for missionaries. It will be an amazing mission prep. There's not time anymore for kids to be too cool/too busy/too complacent to gain a personal testimony. It'll make youth spend time during the week to get ready for Sunday, which will be an adjustment, but again, I do really wish I had grown up with that.

Did you ask more people about the Rose parade; if they heard of it?
yes. basically all the youth said no and all the parents are shocked that their kids don't know about it. Sister Mello watches it sometimes and I think sister Cambpell does every year. None of their kids knew about it.

From Griffin: when you are not doing anything, what keeps you entertained?
usually when I get bored I just make some blue slime to entertain myself for a few hours. just kidding. Not doing anything usually means in the car (see below) or asleep. I will admit though that I started doing this thing with our soccer ball in the apartment. I stand like 8 feet from a wall (on my left) and face parallel with it. I drop/toss the ball over my shoulder and use my heal to kick it off the wall and then I catch it. The alternative way it to drop the ball in front of you, but then you have to catch it behind the back. I am quite good. Maybe I'll take a video.

Do you listen to music in the car? What kind? Or do you just talk/discuss....or are you quiet?
yes. most of it is like the cd you sent me with people singing church related/inspiring songs. Also elder beck has lots of MoTab. Also there is some talking/discussing.

It's been a good week. Kind of slow though. Church yesterday was good and we were able to schedule some things for next week which is good. We do have a dinner appointment today and then a lesson with a prospective Elder later. Sometime this week we want to meet with our new Elders Quorum president and see how we can help. we might suggest that he assign some strong members to teach some of the less actives we've been working with who will be receptive; but he can assign us some members to home teach, so those people he assigns less actives to won't have to do any more work than before, it will just be shifted to people who especially need the visits.

We invited a member (RM) in the ward who used to work for Hasbro to visit a less active with us who has a huge action figure/ comics collection. It went pretty well and it was fun/kind of funny to hear them talk comics for a bit. This guy has toys all over his house. in just about every room on every piece of counter space. He'll often show us his latest purchase. Last time it was a 30 inch action figure of a villain I've never heard of who I think fought against the Justice League.

The highlight may have been Friday when we had Zone Meeting. They gave all of us a book, The Power of Everyday Missionaries by Clayton Christiansen (1st councilor to President Packard) that's all about doing member missionary work (written as per request of Elder Ballard). I haven't been able to read a ton of it yet, but from what I have it's really good. Very helpful. President Packard's biggest thing he's always trying to get going is us helping members do missionary work, and actually working towards the members being the finders and missionaries the full time teachers.

no time for sports response. sorry. I don't like Peyton.

Love you all! have a great week!

No comments: