Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Received Tue February 5, 2013

Here is a picture of Zak and the family when he LIKED being in the snow!
It's been little cold lately, but not as cold as Provo, Utah.

**We got Zak's letter, quite unexpectedly on Tuesday night. We were supposed to get it on Wednesday sometime. He explains why he e-mailed when he did:


So I'm emailing tonight because there is no time tomorrow because we have to spend some time tomorrow visiting people for the last time before I get transferred. It's kind of weird but this is the only way the timing worked out. I'll find a time to read or print your email tomorrow too though.

So I am getting transferred. All four of us were waiting nervously saturday night when the texts came in. Right as they were starting Elder Wilding got a call from President Packard. The volume was on high enough we heard him say the words "zone leader" and we knew he was a goner. After that I thought maybe my companionship would be safe, but then President Packard called our phone too! Elder Beck answered and was told he is going to be a trainer (in southcoast), so I knew I was gone too before the text about our area even came. When we did get them they said Elder Wilding was going up to Nashua (near or in New Hampshire) and I'm going to Canton Conneticut (it's in the northwestern quarter of the state). Elder Lopez and Beck are getting their new companions and staying here. Our "Elder Family" (est. December of 2012) is broken up. I don't know if I'll ever be able to teach the Plan of Salvation properly ever again (families can be together forever!?!?!?). Just kidding. We were all bummed though. We've spent the past couple of days spending a lot of time visiting/taking pictures with some members and our investigators for the last time. Wilding and I both bore our testimony at church. Almost all the people Elder Beck and I have been working with were there which was neat.

Today also was "interviews" were we (the missionaries in our zone) all get to interview with President Packard. It was good to talk to him. He told me a tiny bit about my new area and my new companion. He always leaves you feeling great.

Also there I was able to talk to an elder who served in Canton. It's a big area with a good ward, it's sounds like a great place. No washer or dryer though. I knew Bristol was vaguely in the area of the state too, so I asked him about the ESPN headquarters and he told me that the apartment for the Elders in the Canton ward is actually in Bristol!!! He said there's many members in the ward who work there and could get us a fun tour of it on a p-day. Dad is jealous. I'll let you all know what it's like to see Dwayne Wade editing his own highlights or writers typing with weights on their wrists for practice. Maybe my honesty will convert someone when I don't collapse to the ground clutching my leg when someone brushes my shoulder. So, it should be a good area, even if it is all the way back, back, back, back, back, back, far away from here in Southcoast. That's all my ESPN jokes for now.

It is weird to know I'm leaving though. Of my whole mission, all I know is Southcoast. I'm going to a 2 Elder apartment which will be a little different also. It's kind of easy to think of things I wish I had done a little better here or of progress I wish was made that didn't happen, but I feel good about my time here. Plus, president said I did a good job, so I'm just going to try and love Canton and my new companion (Elder Holt) as much as I loved it here.

Also it was weird to not watch the superbowl and kind of weird that I didn't really care. When we were at an early dinner appointment on sunday they had the tv on with pre-game stuff that kind of turned on the suppressed football section of my brain, but besides that I didn't even really think about it. I decided I hoped the Raven win because I don't like the 49'ers dweeb QB and maybe Pitta could catch a few TD's. I heard they won in a close game. Also someone told us today the halftime show got by without a wardrobe malfunction because Beyonce was a wasn't wearing enough cloths for anything to malfunction. Sister Resendes was quite (shocked and) appalled. Maybe if I play my cards right in my next area I'll be able to pull some strings and get T-swizzle and the Killers into the halftime next year and make sure it goes better. That reminds me, I don't think I ever mentioned, Taylor Swift actually does live in my mission, and Elders have tried (probably many times) to go to her house but I guess it's in some heavy no trespassing gated area and stuff.

Also this about getting transferred, one good thing is that (I don't think I've mentioned this before) my apartment complex will no longer be directly right next too the "Kings Inn". It's a gentlemen's club, aka the great and spacious building, only painted bright pink. It sort of kills every time we see a car pull into the parking lot there, but it's also sort of motivation to the great need for missionary work.

Tomorrow we have lots of plans. We hope to go out to breakfast (early in the morning with the Simpsons early in the morning. I'm really going to miss serving with them. They were a great help. they've shared lots of life advice, regrets, and spiritual experiences with us. Which reminds me, Dad, you probably met Elder (Gordon) Simpson! He spoke at Jim's funeral. He says he probably shook your hand. Remember he is the dentist that Kaydawn worked for in Blackfoot Idaho. I think he grew up in Malad.

anyway, after breakfast we're going to try to scamper up to where the people from our old district (before it was split up) are and play dodgeball with/against them and then be back by about three'ish. Then Elder Beck and I are going to go to Maria's house and see her and Chris and Ivone. I really hope Chris stays strong, he's made a lot of improvement, and I was with him the whole way. Then we have dinner at the Campbells house and our investigator Miranda will be there too. All awesome people. If Miranda would have been baptized while I was here it would be sooo great, but I know she'll get there. Then we're driving up to another member's house (The Rubensteins) for dessert and a group picture. Then we'll come home and that'll be that. Thursday early morning we have to leave up to transfer meeting (Elder Beck has to be at trainer meeting which starts at 2 hours before the regular meeting). Maybe we'll find time to sing The Final Countdown or It Ends Tonight to commemorate the occasion.

last thing; do you have an extra or unwanted copy of the November/confrence ensign? I've never gotten one and would like one if at all possible.

I love you all and am grateful to be a part of a religion founded on revelation and the knowledge God has a plan for each of us, and very grateful for all of you!

No comments: