Monday, February 11, 2013

Received: February 11, 2013

Here are 2 items I found: The first is a time lapse from Hartford, CT. Zak is 18 miles from where this took place. The 2nd items is a photo (from Facebook) also taken from Hartford CT. Hopefully Zak will send us his pictures soon!! For those waiting on the "dryer incident" photos, we'll have to wait for that elder to send Zak the photos, then for Zak to send them to us....patience. Also, I left all of Zak's wonky spelling. I find it entertaining.





not much time! things going well though. Lots of shoveling!

How will you get to Canton Connecticut?
everyone always meets in Belmont (chapel by the temple) for transfer meeting. Then you drive
Where should I mail you stuff...mission office?
mission office is always ok, but directly to me is a week or so faster. my address is

1175 Farmington Ave,
Building 4 apartment 107
Bristol, CT 06010

Does the mission office forward on your mail?
yup

Will you still have a car?
yes, and I'm the driver!

How are your plans for the day going?
kind of wonky. We pulled all our money out in cash so we could be fully consecrated (yippee! I'm glad I could carry that with me), went to a laundry mat (boo! I'm sad I couldn't carry those with me) and did our studies there. (the timing works out well, but it is kind of weird to study while Train and Lady GaGa are singing on the radio in the building). Then we went to Walmart and then bought lunch at some place called Checkers. the wonkyness kicked in when someone called and asked if we could go shovel for them, so just did that, so now we're in service cloths and will have to change before going to our 2 appointments later today.

Getting everything in that you wanted to do?
in my last area? yea basically. President said I did a good job in the area, so i'll have to be happy with that. I do feel pretty good about how I left it. I got to leave my final words/testimony with all the people I wanted to before I left, so that was good. I really hope an investigator (Miranda) gets baptized soon, she seems sooo ready and I hope Chris stays on the straight and narrow.

Yea! Where are the pictures of you IN the dryer??
They need to be emailed to me by the other missionary doofs.


QUESTIONS:
How are you?
fine. a little sore.

How much snow?
over 9000! (all the dorky asian kids at arcadia high would find that joke hilarious).
I haven't heard an all the way official measurment, but right around 30 inches is what I keep hearing. It's a lot of snow! It's just weird because there's just no place to put it all. is the rest of the country in drought because all of the moisture is sitting in the parking lots of New England?

How did you get to Connecticut?
I drove


Talk about your weather.
like a day at the beach

Have you shoveled snow?
Did you ever lose electricity?
Did you stay IN on Fri & Saturday?

I'll give the whole Nemo (now we'll never find him in all this snow!) shpeel. I got here to CT at about 4:00 thursday. There was time to unpack, talk a bit about the area/ward (very good) and go to a dinner appointment (2 great families there.). 

Friday morning we bought some stuff and drove over to another Elder's apartment to hunker down in for nemo. Our whole district of 6 Elders stayed there. We were inside for basically all of friday and saturday. It was a weird way to start in a new area, but a fun/good way to get to know the district. We played some settlers of Catan. Also we had a great district meeting. My district leader in my last area is also my district leader here which is a funny coincidence and is cool. One of the Elders in the apartment is a big hunter and his family sent him a bunch of meat they killed. We ate lots of Elk while we were there, I liked it a lot. Also he has some really good blow guns we were using to blow darts at a small stiraphome deer. Saturday we were able to go out and shovel ourselves and some others out of the parking lot. Never lost electricity or anything. It would have been awful to endure as a pioneer, but for us it just meant staying inside for a while. There never were any big flakes coming down, just lotsandlots of small flecks of snow that just kept going and going. It was also very windy.

Sunday they canceled church because there was just too much snow. The ward had organized a few groups to go around and shovel some people out. Elder Holt and I went with the Ward mission leader and helped 3 families. 1 was a lot of digging (but you know I enjoy digging) 1 was pretty quick and 1 was tough until some people showed up with some good snow blowers. It was kind of a strange sunday, but we did some good service. I've still never been to a church service in CT.


How is your new companion?
Elder Holt seems cool. I think things will go really well. His year mark is this friday. this is his 4th transfer here in the area. He is different than me in a lot of ways. He likes music and singing. Very obedient and a hard worker, so it will work out well.

What’s your address?
see above

Did you ever get back to the email to GET your last weeks letter?
yes'm

Where do you go to e-mail now?
public library. The usual one was closed so we had to go to a different one today (it's all the same to me though)

Do you think Stamford CT is in your area now?
no, it's actually in the tail of CT which is not even in my mission


I feel like that covers mostly everything. Transfer meeting was good, I got to see some good people there. President Packard gave a great talk about how we sometimes miss out on revelation/ignore promptings because we only excpect answers to come in a specific way (asking a yes or no question, when really the answer is option #3). I was surprised when I heard I was designated driver. I've been driving slow in the snow. it's piled high around all the streets. Elder Woodruf (my trainer) just went home. I haven't met any of our investigators yet, but we have like 3 with baptisimal dates, all part member families, so that's awesome. Many of the members I've talked to hear are very open and willing and good at having gospel discussions with people/inviting/working with us to do missionary work. Almost as good as Kylie. I havn't spoken with anyone who's given as influenctial a talk/presentation as mom (did you read Utchdorf's talk Forget Me Not? It has a great section on not forgetting to be happy now. It's one of my all time favorite, even though it was given to the Relief Society).

Got to email the president now. Love you all, I put my address above, so thanks for the Ensign and everything, and all the stuff I forgot too.

also thanks for all the funny stories, they were very good. Also, Ill try and upload all my pictures next week, I have quite a few now.

oh, also, there is already an ESPN tour for our district being organized, so yea for me.
Good bye until next week!

No comments: