Sunday, July 14, 2013

Received Monday, July 8, 2013



 
QUESTIONS:
Have you seen any fireflies?
I think so. Apparently It wasn't a huge experience for me. I'll be on the lookout
 
What is the highest temperature you’ve had this week?
not sure, I don't often pay attention to what the actual temp is. Every day I just assume it'll be hot and humid. In the spring/fall months when I have to decide whether to wear a long or short sleeve or how many layers I pay more attention, I don't have that dilemma now.
I could maybe try to gauge the day to day weather by how many complaints I hear though. As you know, the heat doesn't bother me near as much as the cold. It's kind of gross to be sweating in a shirt and tie, there's nothing you can do about it. When I'm in charge of the universe I'll make a rule that you can only complain about the weather during 1 of the seasons. If you're going to be upset about the cold and snow all winter (which is fair) you don't also get to be upset when it's hot in the summer.
 
What do you do for lunch...go home, make food?
yea, mostly. Every Tuesday the old couple we do service for also makes us lunch. After our missionary meetings we all always go somewhere to eat
 
How was your 4th of July?
pretty good. Was there any soccer or sports at the Arcadia ward breakfast? there was none here. That actually might have been our hottest day, which is too bad. we (elder stevens and I) invited a ton of people to the party, and some of the people we were really expecting didn't come, but one family (inactive grandma, her son and his non-member wife) who we were less hopeful about did come and enjoyed it. The son said he wanted to start coming to church soon! yessssss
 
How were the pies at that party?
I actually didn't pay much attention. kind of forgot too. I ate a few cookies though, and those were good! I'm not a huge pie person, especially without ice cream.
 
Did you see fireworks?
last Monday in our letter from El Presidante he wrote a nice bit about the importance of this country being set up so the restoration could take place, etc, and said we all could watch fireworks and even be out a little late if we had to as long as we went right home afterwards. We asked around a little bit in the ward asking people where they were going to watch. We got invited over to someone's house who were inviting a few families from the ward. It was fun there. They had a few of the big ones that shoot high into the sky and there house is on a hill where you can really see all the other people that have the big ones too.
 
Any big mission events coming up for you? Conferences, fancy speakers, temple?
On the 20th there is a musical fireside put on by the mission, they've been going around doing for all the stakes. I guess the have different people sing and bear testimony and it's supposed to be really good. There is one sister in our mission who is very good; she was a Gladys Knight backup singer and she is part of it. We'll be trying to get people to come and bring friends to that.
 
Canton ward is a little weird during the summer in that so many people go away on long vacations. they skip a lot of the usual meetings, like enrichment night, activity days, some mutual, etc.
 
We had a very good week. Found 3 new investigators. All are people we had meet previously, but we were able to actually sync up for lessons this week. 1 is a 16 year old daughter of an inactive guy in the ward. We had a really good 1st lesson with her

the other two originated from a Mormon.org referral (sometimes they ARE good!) it was actually a few weeks back when we got it then visited the family (the requested a BoM) we knocked on the door and on the porch we talked for about 15 mins with the mom of the family and 1 son. the son is the person who actually went on to Mormon.org to make the request, but the mother listened too. He said he was just curious to hear what we are all about. they said they didn't really want to hear more, but would call us if they had any other questions. This week we decided to go back and ask what they thought (my expectations were fairly low). We caught them (same 2 mom and son) while they were outside and talked for about an hour this time. The mom talked about who she was worried because she is a pretty religious (catholic) but her husband is not and it's really hard for her, especially with raising the kids and everything. There's a couple in the ward I really want her to meet because in some ways it reminds me of their story (wife converted from catholic to lds, and it took years for the husband to come on over. Later became a bishop)
 
another cool thing was with our investigator Bob. He is pretty knowledgeable of the Bible and right at the end of our lesson he talked about his concerns about prophets and having another book etc. We came back ready to talk about it but he said he did some studying in the bible about prophets and it shows that's what the Lord does! He can call a prophet when he wants, today as well as in biblical times. He figured it out on his own.
Yesssss, I love it when the church is true!
 
last Monday you wrote to be about Aaron Hernadez. That was the first I had heard of it. (quick note: the guy next too me in the library is logging onto Fantasy football. It's the first time I've seen that here. I can't believe how many people come to the library just to get on facebook or play silly internet games), anyway I was wearing my patriots shirt at the time (we played tennis afterwards). On the way out of the library I saw someone wearing a NY Giants hat and I said "Giants Fan?" (I usually say something like that to people showing sports logos) he retorted back "yup. Aaron Hernadez fan?" I thought it was pretty clever, glad I was updated enough to understand
 
that's everything. Try to resist the urge to use kindle's to smash spider's and stay cool. Congrats about the birthday and the anniversary! and congrats to little Lizzie Cole!
I love you all!

No comments: