Monday, June 24, 2013

Received Monday, June 17, 2013


Zak just passed his 1 year anniversary on June 20th.

Good job, Zak!!

**FROM THE MOM: SORRY THIS IS SO LATE IN GETTING UP. We took a quick trip up to San Fransciso on Monday; never got back to posting his letter. It's good though, enjoy!



QUESTIONS:
Did you receive the milk jug package? How was the cotton candy?
yes, it was wrapped quite excellently. almost as inconspicuous as when we wrapped a bike for mom for Christmas I possibly could have taken the cotton candy to our RS president here (archaeology major) to study it, but after I had attempted to gnaw on it for a few minutes it got sticky and gross. I think David could have put that in his sling and slayed Goliath just as easy. It still tasted like sugar though.

We did just get an email from president about the mission leadership broadcast. He'll mention a lot of times when he goes to mission president gatherings. It's funny because he doesn't really do it pridefully, but usually mentions them to subtly talk about how our mission is the best, or things that we do differently than others, like other missions going to extremes with the flood of sister missionaries to not cause problems between sisters and elders (of flirtation), like having different P-days and other things to ensure minimal contact. President said that when sister Packard heard that and said something to him like "that's a terrible idea!" Because it would pull down the whole Zion idea of the mission. Also Elder Ballard told him they copied a powerpoint presentation Pres. Packard used for us about becoming "part of the very fabric of the ward" and it was being used in at least 1 mission in Utah. Also he's mentioned a thing or two about his son's mission where they have some formula you put all your key indicator numbers too and in outputs 1 number to let you know how well your doing (but this is very much not a numbers mission. Just do what you're supposed to, receive revelation and let the Lord worry about the results).

also those were some exciting license plates you saw! Did you ask dad or anyone about the SJax one? "NO-SJAX" must be a reference to Steven Jackson going to New Orleans. They were probably a saints fan. or a rams fan who lost a bet. I'm hoping his replacement ins STL is able to fix his Word of Wisdom problems and shape up...

Dad I love you more than applesauce – song...remember that? Was that your poem from school?
I can't remember. It sort of almost rings a bell, especially when you say poem, but I cannot remember. Probably because I don't like applesauce that much. I would need to sing Dad I love you more that milkshakes, or something else

Do missionaries do anything there for their 1 year anniversary?
It depends. There is a restaurant chain over here called Uno that I've heard of people going too, none in our area though. Old tradition says you burn something at all the landmarks (tie at 6 months, shirt at a year) but I don't want to do that. My current plan is to ask a member for a candle and I'll put it in my breakfast thursday morning. I don't want to make too big deal out of it though. Probably the tradition most held to is that lots of missionaries go to a restaurant called 99 when they have 99 days left, which I think is kind of funny.

Happy birthday again to mom! you got good stuff! I've heard a bit about that Duck Dynasty show. Sounds like they could be friends with the alligator hunter people. Probably would have a tough time communicating though.

fun graduation for Quinn (and promotion for kylie). Just too bad he didn't win any good cash prizes. I remember I went to Tokyo Wako too, and the waitress asked if I just gradated from middle school.

Thank you Kylie for your letter! isn't gospel homework the best? we give that out basically everyday, but we don't call it homework either. Having help to have a great direction and purpose in life is (I think) one of the greatest blessings and the church and gospel. Christ wants us all the have the most abundant life we can. He knows our potential, see's not only who we are but who we can be, and that's sort of the point behind everything he asks us to do. Keep your hand on the rod, stay rooted on the firm foundation. It reminds me of Lion King. I remember watching general conference at BYU at president Monson quoted Lion King when Simba is confused and not sure what to do. He see's an image of his father up in the clouds who tells him "remember who you are!" Simba was not meant to just sit in a Jungle and eat bugs. It was nice and easy, but he needed to remember his true heritage; father was the king! he was meant for so much more.

that was a very good picture of quinn waving at graduation. good camera and good photographer.

about funny names in graduation: there was also a Happy in my graduating class, her last name was different though. Peter Pan also graduated with me. There was also a Golden, which was cool.

Interesting about Tebow now in NE. Hope it goes well. Walking into our apartment one day (after I had read about it from mom's letter) someone else was walking in wearing an nfl cap. I mentioned it to him and he said it was good news because he was a Giants fan. I might have been the guy we met when we tracked our apartment and he told us he was uninterested because he was a "Godless heathen" (true story).

This week we did service at Salvation army and a Christian Fellowship center, both soup kitchens. not sure which we'll go to next week. Both were alright, met some interesting people, both working there and coming for the food. The people seemed kind of surprised to have people our age volunteering, and not at a court order (likely for possession of alcohol, like most of the others). (I think the CFC is better, but I don't think Elder Stevens agrees). Both gave us food.
Taught some good lessons, especially about prayer and how to actually receive revelation/ask questions. (we just got training on this).
We were able to reconnect with a part-member family who we haven't been able to have (useful) contact with in a while. We popped by and talked to the non-member husband for a shorter visit and afterwards he texted and said he did some praying and pondering and he really wants to get back on track with lessons and everything. Also we weer able to help him find a babysitter so he and his wife could go on a date. Always fun to help out however we can (and the laurel we referred was happy too!)

One less active we're working with came to a RS activity because we went to her visiting teachers house and sked her (the VT) to invite her (the Less Active). Working with the members is always the key! She probably won't be at church still for a bit though, her husband (who's only home on weekends) may, or may not know she was actually baptized about 2 years ago.

Since the mission is getting so many new missionaries, but not a ton more of cars there are going to be a lot more missionaries on bikes, so they sent out an email to everyone asking if they had any to donate. Our ward has about 10. This week we started picking them up (we have a bike rack) and storing them at the church, so the office elders (one is from my old MTC district) can come down with the tailor and get them all.

this coming week I think we'll finally be able to do an FHE we've been trying to organize for a while with a reactivated mom/new convert daughter (Nellie, who was baptized while I was here) and their home teachers. We're all going over for dinner, then doing an FHE afterwards. I think it's perfect because they are doing well with their testimony and everything but they need a real friend at church, someone who'll notice when they're not here and give them a call to see how their doing. Everyone needs that.

I have not been able to play any more lacrosse, but we are playing football with our Zone today, which I'm really looking forward too.

That's everything for now! hopefully I'll remember to bring my camera to get you pictures sometime soon. I got some good ones of the cotton candy.
I love you!


and Happy late Fathers day dad! Usually whenever I hear about Tim Tebow I remember when we were watching him play in college and you taught a life lesson. Tebow kept running the same play again and again (his classic run-pass option thing) and it kept working. you said it's important that whatever you choose to do in life, you do whatever you can to be great at it (like Tebow, who was great at that one play). I try to remember that.

No comments: