Monday, September 17, 2012

Received Monday, September 17, 2012

As usual, he starts out with the Questions I asked:

Questions:

What do you plan/why does it take 3 HOURS for your weekly planning meeting?
It's supposed to take like 2-3 hours. Everything we go over is in PMG in the "using time wisely" section. A lot of times we have to update some of our "paper work" then too. You go through each one of your investigators and talk/plan about how they will get to church, what you'll teach them, what commitments they may be ready for, etc etc. Also you go over your potential investigators and figure out how to help them lose the "potential" label. For me it's hardest to try and figure out which members to bring with us to lessons/how to help people get fellow shipped. We have lots of willing people in the ward, but it's just hard to figure out who matches personalities ok and lives near'ish and isn't too busy. It would be a lot easier if everyone just quit their jobs and stuff so they'd have more time to be with the missionaries. The things people think about when they think of missionary work (like teaching and tracting and speaking) are all pretty much easy, it's just the planning/scheduling and coordinating with different people that makes it tougher. That's good though, it just means we're busy and have a lot to do. I basically haven't done any tracting since my first week or 2 of being here.

Just to be sure: you got back your memory card for your camera, right?
yup

Do you see ROMNEY signs there in Boston??
sometimes. I see a lot of bumper stickers, especially on member's cars. I hear he doesn't really have a chance here though

Have you had a hand-shaker that shakes too hard?
not really. far more people shake awkwardly soft.


Things I want to say before I forget them:
1st: is Griffin's team name Griffin Radio? how did he choose that? (**From the Mom: Zak is talking about Griffin's Fantasy Football team's name, and yes, he chose Griffin Radio. I don't know why.)


2nd: this goes for anyone who reads this; for the rest of my life you're allowed to ask me if i'm a 100% home teacher and if I'm not then you can punch me or something

3rd: wow, good for the Rams! who does their running when Action Jackson is out? what's the over/under for # of superbowls they win while I'm gone? 1.5? It seems like all my favorite sports teams are doing crazy things this season.

4th: I've been thinking this for a few weeks but forgot to say it. I think I'll try to learn the piano when i get home instead of completely neglecting to try and foster any sort of musical talent. Mom is allowed to remind me if she remembers. (**From the Mom: several years ago, I had my own "family Bataan Death March"; I forced my children to take piano lessons from January to June! I figured by that point they would enjoy the experience, see the good in it and happily continue. It did not work out that way. They were so happy when the experiment was over, they all stopped. Shocking, now to see that Zak has a desire to LEARN! Yea! Kylie has continued, though, sigh.)

5th: I never have had knee pads for volleyball but I know lots of girls did in middle school and highschool. Is it normal to only have practice twice a week? I guess Kylie needs the time anyway

6th: I did find Kylie a pen pal! 2 actually! the first person I mentioned it to is Ivonne who's an investigator. She's from Cape Verde, in 8th grade I think. She said she thought it was a fun idea, but didn't actually write anything for a few days so I figured I'd try and find another person incase she is too busy/would just forget. The second person is a member of a cool family in the ward. She is is 6th grade I think. She sounded like she really liked the idea and would really do it.

7th: Good job to Quinn being completely done with his eagle. It feels good to finally be done. Also I think it's a great goal to get that seminary award

8th: I heard "love you like a love song" both today and last week in Walmart and was making fun of dad in my head both times.

Other stuff from this week:
we set 2 baptismal dates for people this week which was really exciting. One was for Ivone (Kylie's future BFF) and the other was for an 18 year old. I think I mentioned him last week (we're helping him stop smoking). her's is the end of october and his is the beginning of November, both possible to change in either direction though.

Today we're driving up to Foxborough, playing football with the district, doing our weekly planning and spending the night! We have a Zone conference up there the tomorrow morning, Elder Halleck of the 70 is going to be there. I'm really looking forward too it.

Another exciting this this week was we got a call from a sister in the Kirtland Ohio/temple mission. I was the one who answered. I guess they got a referral from someone who lives here who wants a ride to church. I got all the info and then asked if she (the sister) happened to know a Sister Hansen. she said yes! she was her last companion. She said she was doing great, and I told her to say hi.  (**From the Mom: Sister Hansen is Zak's cousin!)

It was another good, tiring week. I never got a chance to sing to anyone, but I decided I'll offer when i get a chance, even if I have to do a solo. I have to hurry and email President Packard now so i can hurry home to pack stuff to go up to Foxborough with in time for football. Maybe Tom will show up too.

Love you all!

P.S. I glanced at my journal to see if there was anything else I forgot to add and there was. we went to this hispanic members house to mow her lawn, but only the spanish-only speaking grandma was there. I was able to use my spanish skills to ask where the keys were to the garage to get the lawn mower. After we finished everything I went to give the keys back and she told us to wait a moment and she went back inside and came back out with 2 mangos fruit for us! I didn't recognize what they were, so I asked (en espanol) and she said they were mangos. They were very yummy and i was very proud of myself for my ability to communicate

No comments: