Monday, October 15, 2012

Received Monday, October 15, 2012




QUESTIONS:
Who is Ben Q?
Ben Kvisler. I think that's his last name. I've known him a long time and was pretty good friends with him in high school. I didn't know he was out here.

How old is Elder Concha? Etc.
19. Like 3 months younger than me. He felt he wasn't ready at 18, so he waited. He explained the military system in Brazil once, I don't remember exactly how it goes though I think they randomly select a certain % of the 18 or 19 year olds and they have to serve for a few years. He does not have to. random thing: we bump into Jehova's Witnesse's every once and a while and they often bring up that they don't participate in the military no matter what, Elder Concha says in his country they force you too, they say there are many JW's in Brazil in jail because they refuse to go in. I think that's admirable sacrifice they make for their beliefs, but it's too bad their pretty close to the truth in a lot of ways, but still off. I'm very happy for the patriotic-ness of the restored gospel.

Did you get my mail this week?
yes!I got a letter from home, sis Hagen and a friend from BYU (Sam Marco) who is now in the MTC, (I think he is going to Armenia) and your favorite facebook friend (Amanda)

Did elder concha get his mail?
yes, he liked it a lot. He thought the pop-rocks were weird/interesting.

Talk about your weather this week!! I think I saw that it was VERY cold for you!
early in the week was pretty cold, but not awful. I wear the sweater I got right before leaving most days now. I've never felt the need to wear the sweater and suit jacket though. On my leg-workout day I did lunges on a treadmill because I didn't want to do them outside in the cold

Griffin’s question: what sports have you played while on your mission? Please list. Football, soccer and basketball. Oh, and I played ultimate frisbee once. also catch (i borrowed a mit and ball) with an investigator once. Also I played volleyball in the MTC.

Did you have a Senior Quote? You know for the AHS yearbook.
Yes. it was the quote about 99% of life is not what happens to you, but how you respond to it. Is Quinn struggling to decide? Tell him he has to put "I'm a mormon, I know it I live it and I love it". and if there any complaints just say: Would you sell your soul for a different senior quote?

I bet it would have been fun for the rams kicker to win on a record breaking kick. oh well. 

We had dinner at a members house who is from st.louis and is a sports/rams fan. He must not be a huge sports guy though because he said he is also a fan of all the teams in the NFC west and the cardinals (baseball) game last night was really exciting because they were down like 5 "goals" to 1 in the 8th inning and then they ended up scoring like 6 "goals" in the last 2 innings and won. I found it kind of funny.
It was fun to see the FF scores and standings. I can't believe Dad's team is struggling so much. Who in the house follows sports the most?
I hope Griffin Radio win in the end.

I wonder what calling dad will get! are you still hoping to get to teach one of the 2nd hour classes?

I'm excited to get my absentee ballot. I think I'm the only person in the apartment who'll vote. Great Office reference

wow that's crazy Rachel and Erica are already turning in their papers. 

President Packard sent us an email talking about how there's going to be a lot more missionaries suddenly coming in and he's asking us for advice about what areas are productive/could use them.

Tell Chase to eat a real philly cheese steak and take a picture.

Is Steven also in scouts or just YM? (Heather sent me a great update about her, Steven and their staggering/drunken walking child Jayna). I liked the story about Jayna seeing and liking squirrels. I'll always remember Griffin seeing squirrels out the window and pointing joyously saying "doggy! doggy! doggy!"

No big news with any of our investigators or anything, but we've "found" like 3 more inactive families who are open for us to visit, which is great. We have to make sure we do a good job of keeping organized so we can keep track of who we've seen, who wants us to come back and who we still have never made contact with. The baptism scheduled for the 28th still looks like It'll work out, which should be awesome.
Elder Beck and I got to do service for a Part-member family which was really fun; we were helping him (the father) build a shed. I got to use a nail gun a few times, which I've never done before. we're going back tomorrow.
Today is the assigned "fall cleaning" day for missionaries. We have to spend most of P-day thoroughly cleaning the apartment (bathrooms and stove and everything). It's kind of lame, but not too bad.
Also tonight after our dinner appt, we're teaching a lesson to a media referral we got, which is really cool. apparently he requested a visit from the missionaries on mormon.org on early in September but we only heard about it last friday at Zone meeting (we called him later that day). we should have got a text right when it happened (september), but we never did; luckily he still is willing to meet though.

that's everything. have a great week!

No comments: